top of page
Anchor 1

planning & Development

Avatar 82

Mikell Powell

Planning Director

Avatar 82

Paige Burke

Code Enforcement

Avatar 82

Brad Dixon

Code Enforcement

Hours of Operation

8:30 am-5:30 pm Monday - Thursday

*Closed Friday


Office: (864) 984-2613 - Fax: (864) 681-2613


quick links



Contractors must be licensed through the South Carolina Contractor’s Licensing Board.



The Planning and Development Department’s mission is to guide quality growth, enhance the quality of life for residents, and ensure all building code standards are met throughout the City of Laurens. We verify that minimum construction standards are followed to protect and provide for the health, safety, and welfare of all Laurens citizens and the environment.

The department serves a variety of functions for the City of Laurens including:
  • Permitting and Building Inspections
    • Building Staff reviews plans and issues the appropriate permits for each individual project then, monitors construction work to ensure it conforms to established building codes.

      • Building Code

        • The purpose of this code is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard the public safety, health, and general welfare, through affordability, structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, light and ventilation, energy conservation, and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment.

      • Building Official

        • The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provision of this code. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies, and procedures shall be in conformance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

      • Inspections

        • The building official is authorized to make all the required inspections or the building official shall have the authority to accept reports of inspection by approved agencies or individuals. Reports of such inspections shall be in writing and be certified by a responsible officer of such approved agency or by the responsible individual. The building official is authorized to engage such expert opinion as deemed necessary to report upon unusual technical issues that arise, subject to the approval of the appointing authority.


  • Codes Enforcement
    • Provides additional health, safety, and welfare of the general public through the equal enforcement of all applicable codes and ordinances.

    • Have a complaint? Contact our department staff about the problem

    • Violations- Any person violating any provision of the ordinance shall be deemed guilty of an offense and shall be subject to a fine of up to $500.00 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days upon conviction. Each day of violation shall be considered a separate offense. Punishment for violation shall not relieve the offender of liability for delinquent penalties and costs provided.


  • Planning & Zoning
    • Planning staff evaluate, monitor, and develop the City’s comprehensive plan, and land use policy; facilitate annexation; and work with neighborhoods, historic preservation, and urban design projects. Facilitates and implements long and short-range plans for the City of Laurens.

​Certificate of Occupancy

The purpose of a Certificate of Occupancy inspection is to ensure that the residential or commercial structure meets the City’s safety guidelines for that structure’s intended use. This inspection is conducted to maintain the safety of all City of Laurens residents and visitors who may be present at that structure.

The city guidelines for these inspections for both residential and commercial structures are attached below. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please contact our department.


Certificate of Occupancy inspection for residential properties is $30

Certificate of Occupancy inspection for commercial properties is $60.


The fee covers the application processing, the inspection, and one potential reinspection (if needed). These can be paid at city hall with cash, check, or card when you fill out the Certificate of Occupancy inspection request form.

If a second reinspection is required and the inspector must inspect the property a third time for the same Certificate of Occupancy request, then additional fees will occur. 

All Commercial property inspections will be conducted by the Building Official and the Fire Marshall.


How do I apply for a permit?
  • All permit applications can be found on the Planning & Development Home Page. Hard copies of the permit applications can be filled out at Laurens City Hall located at 126 E Public Square Laurens SC 29360.

  • Completed Permit applications can be submitted to City Hall or the department email:

How do I schedule inspections?

  • Call 864-984-2613 or email

  • You will need to provide the following information when you request an inspection:

    • Property Address

    • Permit #

    • Type of inspection requested

    • Project/Site manager contact information

Can I Do My Own Repairs/Remodeling at My Home?
  • If you are a homeowner and want to act as your builder or general contractor, you may complete some types of work yourself. State law will require you to live in the home for two years afterward. If you are interested in this, complete the Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement (PDF) and have it notarized and recorded at the Laurens County Clerk of Court's office. Then submit a copy of the recorded form with your building permit application. All permits require inspections to ensure compliance with building code standards.

  • You may not do any type of remodel or repair work that includes electrical, mechanical (heating and air), plumbing, gas, or structural changes; those types of work must be performed by a licensed contractor.

Can I Do My Own Repairs/Remodeling at My Business?
  • You may do some types of minor repairs, but you cannot do any type of remodel or repair work that includes electrical, mechanical (heating and air), plumbing, gas, or structural changes; those types of work must be performed by a licensed contractor.

bottom of page