top of page
Housing Development



City code says any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.


The Following work does not require permits:

Permit Top


  • One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2)
    Note: Accessory structures less than 200 square feet still require application submittal and approval prior to construction.

  • Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high
    Note: All fences still require application submittal and planning approval prior to construction.

  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge
    Note: Any wall that is backfilled against, no matter how high, must be permitted.


  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to

  • Sidewalks and driveways
    Note: Sidewalks and driveways installation must be approved prior to installation.

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work

  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep

  • Swings and other playground equipment

  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall 

  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling, and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.



A Re-inspection fee will be charged for Re-inspections in every area where permits are required.

A Re-inspection is defined as any trip made in addition to those specifically named on the Building Permit Job Card or any trip made as the result of condemned or disapproved work, calling for inspections prior to the work being ready for inspection, and additional trips made because access to structure is not provided.

Re-inspection fees shall be paid prior to re-inspecting the same work or the hob will be shut down.


How do I apply for a permit?
  • All permit applications can be found on the Planning & Development Home Page. Hard copies of the permit applications can be filled out at Laurens City Hall located at 126 E Public Square Laurens SC 29360.

  • Completed Permit applications can be submitted to City Hall or the department email:

How do I schedule inspections?

  • Call 864-984-2613 or email

  • You will need to provide the following information when you request an inspection:

    • Property Address

    • Permit #

    • Type of inspection requested

    • Project/Site manager contact information

Can I Do My Own Repairs/Remodeling at My Home?
  • If you are a homeowner and want to act as your builder or general contractor, you may complete some types of work yourself. State law will require you to live in the home for two years afterward. If you are interested in this, complete the Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement (PDF) and have it notarized and recorded at the Laurens County Clerk of Court's office. Then submit a copy of the recorded form with your building permit application. All permits require inspections to ensure compliance with building code standards.

  • You may not do any type of remodel or repair work that includes electrical, mechanical (heating and air), plumbing, gas, or structural changes; those types of work must be performed by a licensed contractor.

Can I Do My Own Repairs/Remodeling at My Business?
  • You may do some types of minor repairs, but you cannot do any type of remodel or repair work that includes electrical, mechanical (heating and air), plumbing, gas, or structural changes; those types of work must be performed by a licensed contractor.

bottom of page