- Planning and Development
Vacant Building Registration
Purpose of this Program:
Vacant Buildings pose hazards as they: are more likely to create serious safety risks (gas leaks, fire hazards, rodents, etc.), can become a safe haven for crime, lower neighboring property values, and deprive the community of opportunities for reinvestment. The City of Laurens recognizes the need for a registration program for vacant buildings located within the city in order to address the hazards that Vacant buildings pose and encourage positive financial growth.
For more information, please see the City of Laurens Ordinance: ORDINANCE REQUIRING THE REGISTRATION OF VACANT BUILDINGS IN THE CITY OF LAURENS
How to Register:
1) Fill out the Vacant Building Registration form
a. Include information about the property, the property owner, and if applicable the contact information for the responsible agent in charge of the property on behalf of the owner
2) Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off the form at City Hall located at 126 E Public Square Laurens SC 29360
3) The Planning and Development Department will email confirmation of the completed registration to the email address provided on the form.
Registration and Reregistration:
- Registration is valid for 1 year, starting from the date it was initially registered.
- All properties will need to be re-registered every year.
Vacant Buildings Exemption from Registration:
Vacant Buildings that will qualify for exemption must be:
- A registered rental (see rental registration page for more information)
- If the building is actively for sale
- If the building is leased with a real estate broker
- If the building is managed by a licensed property management company
- If the building is an accessory structure- not built for occupancy
- If the owner is away for work, military, or medical needs and has subsequent documentation
- If the property has multiple units with at least one unit occupied
There are no registration fees that are required for this program.
Vacant Building Plans:
After the registration of the vacant building, the City of Laurens will inspect the building with the property owner and help the property owner develop a plan to address all code violations. These plans will be submitted to the City of Laurens Planning and Development department by the property owners following the inspection of the vacant buildings.
If property owners are not clear as to how to register, they may contact the City of Lauren’s Planning and Development Department at email@example.com or via telephone at (864) 984-2613 Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. Department staff will respond at their earliest convenience.